1. Netcher Road Bridge (2.7 miles from Jefferson)
The bridge is constructed over Mill Creek in Jefferson Township, and
it features a timber arch with inverted Haupt walls. The "Neo Victorian"
design structure is 110 feet long, 22-feet wide, and 14-feet, six inches
high. Construction started in 1998, and it was funded by an ODOT Timber
2. South Denmark Road Bridge (2.7 miles from Netcher Road Bridge)
Built in 1890, this Town lattice bridge spans Mill Creek. The 81-foot
structure was bypassed in 1975, but is easily accessible.
3. Caine Road Bridge (6.7 miles from S. Denmark Bridge)
This first Pratt truss bridge in Ohio was built in 1986 in honor of
Ashtabula County's 175th Anniversary. The 124-foot long bridge traverses
the west branch of the Ashtabula River in Pierpont Twp.
4. Graham Road Bridge (5.9 miles from Caine Road Bridge)
The Graham Road Bridge, which was built from remnants of a bridge washed
downstream in the 1913 flood, now sits in a small park on the south
side of the road. The 97-foot Town Truss was over the west branch of
the Ashtabula River in Pierpont Township.
5. Root Road Bridge (3.9 miles from Graham Road Bridge)
A 114-foot Town lattice built in 1868, Root crosses the Ashtabula River.
It was raised 18 inches during the rehabilitation in 1982/83, and new
laminated girders and a center concrete pier were added.
6. Middle Road Bridge (8.3 miles from Root Road Bridge)
This 136-foot Howe truss bridge was built in 1868 over Conneaut Creek,
which is the longest river in eastern Ashtabula County. It was reconstructed
in 1984 with the help of three volunteers and four college students.
7. State Road Bridge (5.1 miles from Middle Road Bridge)
Containing 97,000 feet of southern pine and oak, the State Road Bridge
was erected in 1983 across Conneaut Creek. The 152-foot Town lattice
span was the first covered bridge designed and built by County Engineer
John Smolen, Jr. A four-foot tall window extends the length of the bridge
showing the Town lattice construction. The dedication of the bridge
in 1983 was the forerunner of the Covered Bridge Festival.
8. Creek Road Bridge (3.4 miles from State Road Bridge)
The construction date of this 125-foot Town lattice bridge is unknown.
It sits 25 feet above the Conneaut Creek and was extensively renovated
9. Benetka Road Bridge (1.5 miles from Creek Road Bridge)
A 138-foot Town lattice with Arch bridge, Benetka was built about 1900
spanning the Ashtabula River. It was renovated in 1985. A laminated
arch 9-inches wide and 38-inches thick was added to the length of the
10. Olin Bridge (2.5 miles from Benetka Road Bridge)
Located on Dewey Road in Plymouth Township, Olin is the bridge named
for a family. The Olin's have owned property next to the bridge since
it was built in 1873. The 115 foot Town lattice structure over the Ashtabula
River was renovated in 1985.
11. SMOLEN-GULF (2.6 miles from Olin Bridge)
The longest covered bridge in the United States is of Pratt Truss construction.
Engineering and structural design by John Smolen (former County Engineer)
and architectural design by Timothy Martin (current County Engineer)
the bridge was dedicated August 26, 2008. The bridge is 613 ft. long
and stands 93 ft. above the Ashtabula River. With clear width of 30
ft. and height of 14 ft. 6 in. it will support full legal load traffic
and has a life expectancy of 100 years. Click
for more information on the longest bridge in the United States.
The new pedestrian covered bridge is 150 feet long and 14 feet wide. It is of Pratt truss, like Smolen Gulf Bridge, and was designed by Smolen Engineering. It sits below Smolen Bridge in Indian Trails Park. It was dedicated on Oct 4th, 2016.
12. Giddings Road Bridge (8 miles from the Smolen-Gulf Bridge)
Pratt truss construction was used for this 107-foot bridge built in
1995 with funding from an ODOT Timber Grant. It crosses Mill Creek in
13. Doyle Road (1.8 miles from Jefferson)
A 94-foot long Town lattice bridge built in 1868. Doyle spans Mill Creek.
Mill Creek is a tributary of the Grand River. This bridge was renovated
in 1987 when a laminated arch was added.
14. Harpersfield Bridge (11.2 miles from Doyle)
This two-span Howe truss bridge is 228-feet long, use to be the longest
covered bridge in Ohio. It spans the Grand River, which is the primary
drainage channel of western Ashtabula County. The bridge was built in
1868 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Located
in the County Metro Park it is a great place to picnic. A flood in 1913
washed soil away from the north end of the bridge and changed the river
channel. The steel bridge was then attached. A walkway was added in
1991-92 when the bridge was renovated.
15. Liberty Street Bridge
Liberty Street Bridge is located on West Liberty Street just west of
Rt. 534 in Geneva. It's 18' span carries traffic across Cowles Creek.
Completed in 2011 it became known as Liberty Bridge and it is the shortest
covered bridge open to traffic in the US. It was constructed by the
A-Tech school who also constructed a small toll booth similar to what
covered bridged had during pioneer days.
16. Mechanicsville Road Bridge (4.6 miles from Harpersfield Bridge)
The second longest single-span Covered Bridge in Ashtabula County, this
156 ft. Howe truss with arch was built over Grand River in 1867. The
arch is 15 layers of 2 x 8 lumber encased by large beams which form
the X's of the Howe truss. Believed to be the oldest of the County's
covered bridges. This bridge was renovated in 2003-2004 and was once
again opened to traffic in the spring of 2004
17. Riverdale Road Bridge (9.2 miles from Mechanicsville Bridge)
This 114-foot Town lattice bridge sits high above the Grand River. It
was built in 1874. The floor was rebuilt in 1981 and glue-laminated
wood girders were added. Center steel bracing had been replaced under
the bridge in 1945. The road at the east end of the bridge washed out
in 1987, and a new concrete abutment was built for added support.
18. Windsor Mills Bridge (14.5 miles from Riverdale Road Bridge)
Located in a very picturesque area of the county, Windsor Mills Bridge
spans Phelps Creek, a tributary of the Grand River. Built in 1867, the
Town lattice sits atop cut stone abutments with unique center supports.
One is of sandstone quarried nearby. The other, in contrast, is made
from creek stone. Windsor Mills Bridge is also listed in the National
Register of Historic Places. This bridge was renovated in 2002-2004
and was once again opened to traffic in the spring of 2004